If you are a WhatsApp user and you click “I agree” to that pop-up that you don’t read, here’s a synopsis (not comprehensive) of what you are agreeing to that is not protecting your privacy:
- WhatsApp can share all data it collects about you with the entire Facebook network, (including Instagram), even if you don’t have an account with other parts of the network (e.g., Instagram).
- If you don’t accept the new terms, you will not have full functionality of the app (which is reported to go live in May).
- WhatsApp is monetizing the data it collects from you and asks for your consent to use your data to make money.
- Although your conversations in WhatsApp are private and encrypted, WhatsApp has access to your usage data and your unique identifier, which may be linked to your identity. This is one of the reasons they are asking you to accept the new terms.
- Facebook is monetizing your data and increasing its revenue by using your usage of WhatsApp to push targeted ads to you on Facebook and Instagram.